Friday, July 16, 2010

On becoming an author...

The other day, an old friend of mine asked me why and how did I become an author… I didn’t have an answer nor did I attempt to cook up one for her. I preferred to remain quiet but her question left me thinking...

Later in the night, I vaguely guessed that probably it has been the result of my self-exploration! The deep soul-searching that I have done in the recent years must have ultimately led me to my pursuit of story-telling. Well, irrespective of the cause, I feel really fortunate to have discovered and pursued my calling in life and my first book ‘Chasing Maya’ is an unfolding of this journey of mine.

Now, coming back to the idea of becoming an author, writing a book - a novel to be precise, was always a dormant desire... There have been too many thoughts on my mind and a few noteworthy experiences which I thought could provide me the required ingredients... Many times in the past, I was tempted to start off. Couple of times I even did. But nothing really seemed to take off.

When I started writing ‘Chasing Maya’ in 2007, I didn’t have the vaguest of clues that it would one day become my first published novel. In all probability, it wouldn’t have really been so. But I was fortunate that I met the right people at the right time…And it made all the difference!

2 comments:

  1. Very true Rohan, sometimes it is very important to take off. Most of us remain grounded for lack of that one effort which keeps us away from what we want to do and then we remain Chasing Maya...
    :-) Congratulations on your new update Mr.Author!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rohan! we have so many things to tell this world, and when we find nobody sitting next to us to listen with respect, then we pick up writing to tell our stories to the world. However, we need to remember one thing, you tell your story and I will tell mine, because nobody is going tell our stories.... so onus is on us.....

    ReplyDelete